Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Chevron Obsession!! (Math Stations Freebie!)

I know I know, everyone is obsessed with chevron. I feel like it started last summer but it's in FULL swing right now. I'm buying things designed with chevron, wearing things with chevron and creating things with chevron!! I just bought a bunch of digital paper on Etsy...in...chevron! My husband is like what's with the zig zags? And I told him...umm it's chevron and it's awesome right now. ;)

Alrighty, enough with my ode to chevron. I wanted to share what I've been working on. I'm creating a back to school math stations unit with easy peasy math stations for second graders. I'm creating fun stuff that is super simple to ease the kiddos back into a routine and also brush up on those first grade math skills. 

I was shocked when I moved to second to realize how many kids did not have basic addition and subtraction facts mastered. We worked on sums of ten for ummmmm the whole first semester it felt like! It was one of those things where you felt like you were beating the topic to death...and then they would still say something like 4+6=11 and you're like "AAaaaahhh I'm the worst teacher ever!!" But no, I wasn't, or at least I hope I wasn't! I figured out it just takes the kiddos repetition and multiple modes of practice. 

So what designs do you think I chose to decorate my packet with...?? One guess...yup! You're right! Chevron! :) Here is a memory match game to brush up on match facts. For this game you can let the kids play by themselves and match up the math facts or let them play with a partner and do it memory style. I always had my kids record their answers in their math journals, just for reinforcement. On the back of the cards you can use some sort of sticky dots, stickers or just mark them with different colors to make the game self checking. The first two slides have the addition problem and the second two slides have the sums. You can pick the file up here






Alright friends, I'm off to take Jackson to my sister-in-law's house for a little visit with his cousins! Have a great Wednesday y'all!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I teach special education math to 6th graders, and this is a perfect activity to start my year off :) It will be a great review and an easy activity they can be successful with.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete