Friday, April 5, 2013

Five for Friday with Doodle Bugs Teaching



I have not participated in a Linky for a while, pretty excited! So my "Five for Friday" are...

1. We had some super yummy cupcakes for one of my students' birthdays! They were ADORABLE!



2. My class finished their endangered animals research. We made brochures for our animals. The kids took about 2 weeks to complete these. They went to the computer lab and library to research. I was really pleased with their final products:






I love her "close up look". So glad they picked up on this text feature!

3. My kids ROCKED an expository prompt I gave them in science. They had to write about how a frogs adaptations help it survive. We spent the previous week completing awesome science stations I found on www.stemscopes.com. (If you are a Texas teacher you HAVE to check out the activities on this site. I think your district has to subscribe to it, ask your administrators!) Here are some pics of the stations.


An animal picture sort according to characteristics.



Camoflauge activity where the kids timed themselves picking up pieces of paper and recording the number of each they could pick up.

Smelling jars: The kids smelled different scents, recorded what they thought it was, and wrote about how animals use their noses to survive.


A sample from one of my kids' science notebooks. They had to explain how the frog's characteristics help it survive. I was super proud of them! I think we are STAAR ready! (Texas teachers know what I'm talking about!) 

4. I got to see my dear friend Elissa who came home to Texas from Boston. Love you Smelly! ;)

5. I found a super cute fruit container for Jackson! This little contraption is made by Munchkin I believe? Not sure...but you stick whatever fruit or vegetable you want your baby to suck on and it keeps him from choking. The handle has a mesh bag on the end where he can suck the food out of in tiny pieces. He looked SO cute eating his banana in it! (It was quite messy, of course!)



I love this little angel! Happy Friday y'all! :)



3 comments:

  1. Whoa - those parents went all out! I am sure they were a delicious treat. :) I love your non-fiction writing. You have some awesome artists in your class. Good luck on the big test!!

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! My kids are in 2nd so they have two more years until the STAAR writing, but they are surely getting ready for it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Aww your little guy is adorable! I just found your blog through the linky party and I'm your newest follower :)
    Elizabeth
    Kickin’ it in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete