Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Base Words, Sight Words and the Rodeo! Yee Haw!

Hey Y'all! I hope you're having a fantastic week. I wanted to share an activity I did with my second grade group on Monday. We practiced identifying base words and inflections. The kids did really well with this. We started with a base words center from FCRR and I made these extension activities. 

Each pair of students got a board with 8 base words and had to cover the base word with the matching word plus an inflectional ending. For example the word "hopeful" is covering the base word "hope". I wasn't sure how hard this would be for them at first, so I made the boards color coded. (That also helps with clean up.) However, my group did very well. To make this center harder, you could print them in gray scale and give the kids more cards to choose from.






After the kids practiced with several boards I had them pick four words to create an anchor chart in their notebooks. We folded a page in half and made three slits. The kids wrote the title "Base Words" and wrote a base word on the inside flap. On the outside they recorded the base word plus an inflectional ending. They did that four times. If you want to use the boards and cards I made you can pick them up here.



I wanted to share this little gem with y'all too. My 3 year old nephew Hank is beginning to write his name! :) Yay! I'm so proud of him. 


We worked on the letter N and then reviewed some of our sight words with one of my spin, read and color sight word practice pages.



On Monday, the husband and I took Jackson to the rodeo. We had such a great time. Before we got all messy and stinky, I asked my husband to take a picture of Jackson and me. It is SO hard to get this little booger to sit still for pictures and I was SO excited to see how this picture came out. It is so rare to get a good one of him and me...I will cherish this one forever!!


Here are some pics of Jackson in the petting zoo. He LOVED it.





I think the llama had the most personality in the entire zoo! :)




Jackson was very excited to see "quack quacks". We had to pull him off the cage. Haha!




Ok I gotta run, Jackson has ANOTHER ear infection and he is not a happy camper. Off to mommy duty! Night y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment