Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Science Safety Rules Booklet

Hey friends! Today I was searching through some old files and found a cute booklet I used with my second graders last year. At the beginning of the year we always read Officer Buckle and Gloria to start out our science lessons. The kids LOVE this book, if you haven't read it yet, you need to!

After reading this book we talk about the importance of safety. It's a great way to begin discussions about safe practices in the classroom and the science lab. As a class, we would come up with a list of safety rules. Then my students would write them down in their safety booklets. 

Here's an example:


I would run the cover page on yellow paper and the rest on plain white. The kids would write our rules first, cut out and I would help them staple on the top. These booklets were made small for two reasons: 1. to save paper and 2. to be able to stick them in their science notebooks. We put pretty much everything in their science notebooks!

This booklet takes them a little while too, so it's nice for the beginning of the year when you are still catching your breath. I would use this booklet with 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th graders. It might be too small for the younger ones to write on and too difficult for them to cut out.

You can pick up the file in Google Docs here or at my TPT store here. If you end up using it, I would love to hear about it!! Have a great Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment