Tuesday, December 10, 2013

A Day of Remembrance for Our Friends at Sandy Hook


We all know about the tragedy that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary on December 14, 2012. That is a day I will never forget. I remember hearing that some of my teacher friends were crying, but I had no idea what was going on. We continued our afternoon as usual and as soon as I could, I asked a friend what had happened. She told me and I couldn't believe it. Children. Sweet, innocent children. I went back to my classroom and bawled...I mean BAWLED. 

This time last year I had a 3 month old baby waiting for me at home. I rushed home as soon as I could and held my baby boy. I cried and cried...and cried some more. I cried as a teacher and I cried as a parent. School is supposed to be a safe place...it's supposed to be a happy place, to think that this could happen to such young, innocent children, it just broke my heart.

 I cannot fathom dropping my baby (I say "baby" because no matter how old children are, they are still "babies" in the eyes of their parents) off at school one day and never seeing them again. I do not even want to imagine the kind of pain, grief and sorrow the parents of those children have been through and continue to go through every day. I pray for them to heal, though I know nothing can replace their loss.

I also remember the day of silence we took as bloggers, in honor of the victims. I just came across a post by Greg at Smedley's Smorgasboard. He has a fabulously written post about ways we can remember Sandy Hook one year later. He is asking us to do what the families of the victims have asked for us to do, to commit acts of kindness in remembrance of their loved ones.

I'm pledging to commit acts of kindness on December 14th in honor of those we've lost. Please read Greg's post and pass this on! If we can all commit to acts of kindness on this day, imagine what we could do! This world can be a scary place but it can also be a beautiful one too. Let's honor those sweet little angels by doing good for others. I hope you will join us. Blessings to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment