Thursday, July 24, 2014

Back to School Science with OOBLECK! :) {Freebie!}

Have you ever experimented with oobleck in your classroom? If you haven’t you’re missing out. It is SO fun and the kids absolutely love it. Yes it can get a little messy but honestly it’s not THAT bad. I’ve seen much messier activities than oobleck.

Today I was giving my favorite back to school science unit a MASSIVE face lift and I decided it would be fun to make some oobleck with my little nieces who were visiting. They are in fourth and seventh grade, so I really thought they’d be like, “Really aunt Dixie? Oobleck?” but they were like “Wow! This is crazy, it’s a solid and a liquid?!” Haha! They were really intrigued. In fact, my husband came home from work and was playing with it tooit’s definitely a crowd pleaser.






Oobleck is very easy to make, it’s just corn starch and green colored water. Ta da! That’s it! J Oobleck is a great back to school activity to get your kids thinking about the scientific process.

In my favorite back to school unit, “What is science?” I created some writing pages for a cross curricular activity with the book Bartholomew and the Oobleck. My kids loved working with oobleck and I bet yours will too! This activity is great for K-2. Kinder is of course rough at the beginning of the year but honestly it’s already kind of wild in a beginning of the year kinder classroom, why not let them just get crazy with science? It’s fun and engagingand aren’t the best lessons the messy ones any ways?


You can view my back to school science unit here. I'm including a little freebie from the packet that you can grab here. Just in case you want to make some oobleck and have your kiddos write about it! :)

What do y’all usually do for science during the back to school season??

No comments:

Post a Comment