Sunday, January 19, 2014

First ever Centers Sunday!


Hey friends!! I'm so excited to bring you my first ever Centers Sunday! This Sunday is a little different than most because tomorrow is MLK day...but MOST Sunday evenings are a very frantic time for teachers. Between organizing centers, grading papers and lesson plans (not to mention family time)...it's just plain CRAZY! That was the thought process behind my little idea...I want to help your week get started off on the right foot. That's why I'll be bringing you seasonal centers for K-2 teachers each Sunday evening...and oh...totally free!!

I'll be creating centers for math and/or literacy...depending on what I'm inspired by. If you have certain skills that you really want your kids to review, I'd love to hear about it. I ask my Facebook followers often, so if you follow me there you can leave me a comment, or just leave a comment here on my little ole blog. I'll do my best to create some freebies that are exactly what you need. 

So here it goes, center numero uno:

I created this center as an activity to do with my little nephew. He is only 3 but he's learning sight words right now. I call this center "Mittens in the Snow". To make it a sensory experience I filled a tub of cotton balls and placed the mittens in the bottom. Hank (my nephew) reached in, grabbed one mitten and read the word on the mitten. He then found the matching mitten on his paper and colored it in the same color. *This activity is also great for teaching and reviewing left/right.* Then I reached in the tub and did the same thing.







For the white mitten, I outlined it in black to show that I found it. But kids  can color it in with a white crayon if they want. This game can also be played as a memory game. There are 8 sight words in this game: go, the, big, an, and, see, me, and can. You can pick that file up here.

I also brought Hank a poster that says, "What's the password?" My sister is going to post this somewhere in the house so that he can review a sight word each day. A lot of teachers do this in their classrooms. When a student enters or leaves they have to read the password. You can pick that file up here.


Center #2: 

This center is for first graders. In this center, the kids match the number with the place value blocks and record. The mittens are in color but there is more than one of each color so that the game is not too easy. The colors help them narrow it down but they still have to check and be careful when they are counting. Click here to pick that file up.




Center #3:

This center is for 2nd graders to practice synonyms. The students read the words on the mittens and find the matching synonym. These mittens are all white to up the rigor. They will look really cute if you print them on colored cardstock though. The recording sheet and directions sheet are included. You can pick that file up here.




To prepare the centers just print the game pieces on cardstock, laminate and cut out. I recommend laminating the directions page too, it's a great reference for students. I hope your students can enjoy using these centers. Let me know if you like them and are planning to use them by leaving a comment below. I'd love to do this every Sunday if it makes your life a little easier!! ;) 

4 comments:

  1. You are FAB!!! These are so great! And how wonderful to offer free!!

    Chelsea
    Kickin It Whole Brain In Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a wonderful idea. Sundays are often hectic for all of us. As you know, I run a tutoring business, but I am still running around like crazy on Sunday to get ready for the week. I can certainly use these centers since I work with all ages. Thanks for sharing a great idea. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just starting work stations for math and literacy so I can't wait to see what you'll be spotlighting! Thanks so much!

    Brandi
    Success in Second Grade
    Follow me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fantastic. You are a dear lady to offer these. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete